Audemars Piguet has unveiled the Royal Oak Concept Laptimer Michael Schumacher, a new timepiece that has been in development for more than five years and pays tribute to the F1 driver.
The 44 mm timepiece has been created in collaboration with the F1 legend and Audemars Piguet ambassador Michael Schumacher, who explained that he did “not want to develop a watch to use while in the cockpit of a race car, but one which would enable him to time laps accurately from the track side.”
It is powered by a hand-wound manufacture caliber 2923 movement that beats at a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz) and has a total of 413 components and 34 jewels. This drives the watch functions that include a Laptimer chronograph with double central second hands, flyback, 30 minutes counter, small seconds, hours and minutes.
The case, which is presented in forged carbon is complemented by a titanium bezel and a curved glareproofed sapphire crystal display that houses the openworked black dial. Small hints of 18-carat pink gold are depicted through the screw-locked crown and pushpieces.
It’s caseback is produced using titanium with glareproofed sapphire crystal, which showcases the inner workings of the mechanism and its maillechort mainplate and central bridge, circular grained and blackened, blackened titanium upper-bridge, blackened balance-wheel bridge, black polished steel column-wheels, linear-grained and sandblasted steel levers, lineargrained steel springs and bevelled and linear-grained bridges.
The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Concept Laptimer Michael Schumacher boasts a minimum power reserve of approximately 80 hours and is water resistant up to a pressure of 5 bar (50 meters or 165 feet). It is supplied on a black rubber strap with titanium folding clasp.
- Hand-wound manufacture caliber 2932 movement
- Beats at a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz) with a total of 413 working components and 34 jewels
- Laptimer Chronograph with double central second hands, flyback, 30 minutes counter, small seconds, hours and minutes
- 44 mm diameter forged carbon case
- Curved glareproofed sapphire crystal display
- Titanium caseback with glareproofed sapphire crystal
- Titanium bezel, black ceramic and 18-carat pink gold screw-locked crown
- Black ceramic and 18-carat pink gold pushpieces
- Black ceramic Laptimer pushpiece with MS logo
- Openworked black dial with 30 minutes counter at 3 o’clock and white gold Royal Oak hands with luminescent coating and black inner bezel
- Minimum power reserve of approximately 80 hours
- Water resistant up to a pressure of 5 bar (50 m / 165 ft)
- Supplied on black rubber strap with titanium AP folding clasp